The MA (Theol) consists of eight units of study, of which six must be coursework units. The remaining two units may be:
- two further coursework units
- one coursework unit and one project (8,000–10,000 words)
- two projects (8,000–10,000 words each)
- one research project (15,000 words) – equivalent to two units.
All work undertaken in the program is to be based on a solid foundation of exegetical skills. Accordingly, all student must select at least one unit dealing with a book of the Bible in the original language.
Coursework units are chosen from the three mutually dependent fields of study:
- Biblical Studies (New Testament, Old Testament, Biblical Theology)
- Christian Thought (Systematic Theology, Historical Theology, Church History, Ethics)
- Christian Ministry (Mission, Professional Supervision, Christian Worship).
Students are required to complete at least four units from one field (the chosen field of specification) and at least one unit from each of the other fields to ensure breadth and depth in their program.